The Home Workout
We are constantly being told at the moment that we are living in unprecedented times. We are also being told that we have no control over most things right now, which may well be true.
Fortunately, though, there is one thing you have complete control over, and that is your willpower. And seeing as we have been facing a bit of time indoor recently, willpower is something we have definitely needed.
But for most, it’s not necessarily a lack of willpower that’s preventing them to get sweaty at home, it’s the fact they don’t know where to start.
So, I felt it could be a good idea to give you a bit of a structured program to work with for the next few weeks, to keep you motivated until the gyms re open.
Try to complete this circuit three times with a 30sec rest between each move. Take a two-minute breather after each round.
A warmup is essential before a productive workout. Here’s a short one to get you ready for action:
- 30 sec jog on spot
- 30 sec star jumps
- 30 sec arms across the body
- 30 sec plank
- 30 sec ankle rotations
Repeat this twice and get ready to start.
- Press-ups– 60 sec
– With your hands on the floor shoulder-width apart, extend your arms and raise yourself up onto your toes.
– Your body should form a straight line from your head to your heels. Squeeze your stomach to stop your midriff from sinking towards the floor.
– Flex at your elbows and lower your chest until it’s an inch from the ground. Breath out and push back up to the starting position.
- Sit-ups– 60 sec
– Lie down on the floor with your feet flat and legs bent at the knees.
– Lightly place your hands behind your head. Breathe out and lift your upper body until it creates an imaginary V-shape with your legs.
– Feel the contraction in your stomach and lower yourself to the starting position while inhaling.
- Squats– 60 sec
– Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
– Begin the movement by shifting your weight onto your heels, flexing your knees and sitting back with your hips.
– Keeping your head and chest up, squat down as low as you can before quickly reversing the motion and returning to the start position.
- Lunges – 60 sec
– Stand upright with your feet shoulder width apart. Lunge forward as far as you can with your right leg, bending your trailing knee so it almost brushes the floor.
– Use the heel of your right foot to push your upper body back to the starting position.
– Repeat with the opposite leg.
- Burpees– 60 sec
– Stand up straight with your arms by your sides and your feet at shoulder width.
– Squat down and place your palms on the floor in front of you. Kick your legs out behind you so that you are in a push-up position.
– Now pull your legs back under you into the squat position, jump into the air with your arms above your head and beware of any low-hanging light fittings. That’s one rep.
Complete this circuit for a total of three times.
Then collapse on the floor in a sweaty mess!!