08 Aug Sea Bass with Pearl Barley Risotto
Ready in 45 minutes
- 30g frozen peas
- 30g spinach
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- low-calorie cooking spray
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 40g dried pearl barley
- 150ml hot vegetable stock
- small handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 boneless sea bass fillet
1. To make the pea and spinach purée, cook the peas in a saucepan of boiling water
for about 4 minutes, adding the spinach for the last minute. Drain and blitz until
smooth in a food processor or using a stick blender, adding a squeeze of lemon
2. Place a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and spray with low-calorie
cooking spray. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes or until beginning to soften.
Add the pearl barley and stir to coat well.
3. Add a ladleful of stock and cook until it has been absorbed, stirring occasionally.
Continue adding stock like this until the pearl barley is cooked, then stir in the pea
4. Meanwhile, make the gremolata by mixing the parsley and garlic with the lemon
zest and juice to taste. Set aside.
5. Spray a non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a
high heat. Season the fish lightly and add to the pan, skin-side down. Cook for 2-3
minutes or until the skin is crispy, without moving the fish. Turn and cook for
another 1-2 minutes.
6. Spoon the pearl barley into a bowl and top with the fish. Scatter over the
gremolata and serve with salad or vegetables.