09 Aug 6 Basics to Help with Fat Loss
1. You must be within a caloric deficit to elicit fat loss. Without this your energy balance wont allow your body to burn body fat, but more than likely store more body fat.You can increase your calorie deficit through increased exercise, or by tracking and logging your calories.
2. Increasing your N.E.A.T. By moving more throughout the day via Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, you will burn the majority of your daily calories. So take the stairs instead of the lift. Or walk to the shops instead of driving.Its surprising how many calories you will burn this way.
3. Track Your Calories. If you really want to know what might be going wrong in your diet, then tracking calories can give you all the data you need to make sensible choices, as well as finally know what is in the food you are eating, so you can adjust your nutrition towards a more sustainable lifestyle.
4. Protein. Eating protein won’t make you ‘big’ and ‘bulky’. What I will do is help your muscles recover from training and workouts, as well as keep you feeling full. It will also help you to build lean muscle, which will in turn burn more calories while at rest. So make sure you are aiming between 1.5-2g of protein per KG of body weight.
5. Activity. Being active doesn’t mean you have to go to the gym 5 times per week. Being active in ways you enjoy will be the key to a long term active lifestyle. So aim to increase your steps to 10,000 or more. This isn’t gospel, but the more steps you can do per day, the more calories you will burn. Tie this into increasing your N.E.A.T too.
6. Sustainability. It’s important whatever diet you choose for you, that it’s sustainable. You can do it for the rest of your life without stressing about food ever again. Incorporate foods you love into your diet. As long as it fits within your calorie goal or target, you can still find room for the foods that you love.